We have recently completed our final Estate Walkabout of summer 2017 having undertaken these in Galashiels, Hawick and Newtown St Boswells. Unfortunately we have had a poor response from residents and tenants joining us on these Walkabouts although at least one of our Walkabouts had to be carried out in typical Scottish summer weather of torrential rain which may have deterred people from joining us! These Walkabouts allow residents and tenants an opportunity to meet with our staff to carry out an in depth check of streets and properties within designated areas . They are a very practical example of our commitment to work in partnership with residents and tenants to ensure our estates are kept in good condition.
We have compiled a list of actions to follow up on issues that have been picked up on the Walkabouts including-
- Contacting some tenants to have their gardens tidied.
- Liaising with Scottish Borders Housing Association to deal with fly tipping in a block of flats in Hawick.
- Progressing some repairs required to individual properties.
- Exploring options for dealing with an area of overgrown ground in Borthaugh Road Hawick
- Contacting Scottish Borders Council to resolve refuse disposal issues in Newtown St Boswells and Galashiels
- Reminding tenants of the need to keep communal fire doors closed and not to store inappropriate items in stairwells.
If you would like your area to be included in a future Estate Walkabout please give us a ring on 01450 364200.