Right to Repair
Tenants have a right to have small urgent repairs up to the value of £350 carried out by us within a given timescale. The repairs covered under the Right to Repair scheme are known as ‘qualifying’ repairs. If a tenant reports one of these types of repair, the work must be completed within the maximum time stated as long as they can provide suitable access to the workman.
Failure to complete a repair within the maximum time allowed shall entitle tenants to £15 in compensation for the first working day over, plus £3 for each additional working day on which the repair has not been completed, up to a maximum of £100. The scheme also allows tenants the right to instruct an alternative contractor to do the work and send the bill to us provided that:-
- the work was not completed by us within the maximum time allowed
- tenants have complied with access arrangements
- tenants contact us to advise us of the failure to complete the work before instructing an alternative contractor
- tenants have selected a contractor on our Approved Contractor list
- the cost of any single qualifying repair does not exceed £350
If an alternative contractor is instructed and the above conditions are not met tenants may be recharged the cost of the repair.